The word ‘Education’ is derived from the latin word ‘Educare‘ which means ‘to bring up’ or ‘Educere’ which means ‘to bring forth’. Education means both to bring forth as well as to bring up. So education desnot merely means the acquisition of knowledge, but also the development of habits, attitudes and skills which help a man to lead a worthwhile (meaningful) life.
Some theorists proposed a different explanation for education.In the word educate, ‘E’ means ‘out of” and ‘duco’ means ‘to lead’, that is to educate means to lead forth or to extract out the best in man. Thus education is a process of drawing out from within. This explanation presumes that the whole knowledge is inherent in children. Only methods are to be found out to tap their brains for the spontaneous flow of knowledge
Different Meanings of Education
- Education is a attempt to develop the man.
- Education means the modification of behaviou.
- Education is an act of training.
- Education is directing the child.
- Education is integrated growth.
- Education is a continuous reorganisation and integration of activities and experiences.
- Education is emancipation.
- Education is influence. and,
- Education is a lifelong process.